An innovative renewable, biodegradable and biocompatible hydrogels for the treatment of mild and complex infections of the oral cavity and dental implants
DTech has developed a patented, novel technology for the production of renewable, biocompatible, in situ cross-linkable hydrogels to be used for:
- mild and complex infections of the oral cavity (1) and dental implants;
- osteo-articular infections;
- cartilage reconstruction;
- skin wounds and burns, including severe ones;
- suture protection;
- release of anti-tumoral agents.
The hydrogels are able to adhere to soft and hard tissues and are able to hold active medicinal substances, which are released from the hydrogel to the adhered tissues in a controlled manner. This unique property of DTech’s technology allows for increased local bioavailability of the active molecules that are otherwise unable to enter the local circulation and tissues with currently available solutions.
DTech is an academic biotechnology spinoff, focusing on developing in situ cross-linkable, biocompatible hydrogels.
DTech’s research has led to the development of a biocompatible dental hydrogel, presenting a new solution for dentists and dental hygienists for preventing and treating oral cavity infections and for oral cavity care.
TARGET MARKET: The company targets the following markets:
- The dental-care market: this market shows a TAM of 14b USD and projects a CAGR of 6.5% on average through 2024
- The Wound Care market: this market shows a TAM of 27b USD and projects a CAGR of 7.3% on average through 2024
DTech’s NuvaGel is a two-step solution prepackaged into two ready-to-use disposable syringes. The first syringe contains a highly biocompatible hydrogel in which an antiseptic, antibiotic, active ions or active molecules are incorporated. Upon application, the hydrogel releases the active substance onto the tissue in a controlled manner. This allows for a remarkable increase in the local bioavailability of the active molecule, otherwise unable to enter the local circulation and tissues. The second syringe consists of a crosslinking agent that converts the gel into a rubbery compound, which then robustly adheres to soft and hard tissues, allowing for prolonged release of the active substance into the local environment over an adjustable period of between two weeks to several months.
The hydrogel, therefore, is applied to the target area in the first step, and the crosslinker is then applied in the second step, rapidly transforming the hydrogel into the final product, and essentially “sealing” the target area, protecting it from the intrusion of foreign particles, and the active substance is only released where needed. The molecules employed by DTech confer great benefits to the hydrogel production process due to their economically advantageous, biocompatible, non-toxic, and biodegradable features.
The biological properties of NuvaGel manifest enhanced occluding, adherence and wetting effect, limiting bacterial recolonization.
NuvaGel is used for:
- Treating simple and complex infections of the oral cavity and dental implants (e.g. periodontitis, pyorrhoea, etc.);
- Treating infections following the implantation of prostheses and tissues surrounding them;
- Controlling infections/complications following the implantation of prostheses and in the hygiene of the oral cavity;
- Preventing osteo-articular infections;
- Cartilage reconstruction;
- Skin wounds and burns (even if of large surface);
- Large suture protection;
- Protecting and repairing damaged tissues in complex wounds;
- In situ release of oncological drugs and chemotherapy.
Complex infections of the oral cavity encompass at least 50% of the complications that professionals see every day. A local infection caused by bacteria, plaque, tartar, food infiltration or mechanical trauma can cause tissue inflammation, such as gingivitis or periodontitis.
Periodontal disease is a global health problem that affects 60% of the population in Italy. Moreover, periodontal disease leads to chronic inflammation and represents a risk factor for coronary heart disease, diabetes, pre-term delivery and the birth of low weight infants compared to gestational age.
The active compound allows NuvaGel to treat infections of the oral cavity and to maintain daily oral hygiene. With different active molecule combinations, Nuvagel is also able to treat complex wounds and oncological lesions. The DTech NuvaGel line is extremely adaptable in that it can be purpose fitted to cater to patients’ specific needs via differing combinations of gel and active compounds.
- NuvaGel Clx Gel + chlorhexidine 2% Professional sealing gel with chlorhexidine to be applied on subgingival injections, infected areas or on dental implants.
- NuvaGel Ab Gel + Antibiotic Professional sealing gel with antibiotic for the treatment of serious bacterial infections. The disadvantages of systemic antibiotic therapy are related to the fact that the drug is dissolved by diffusion at systemic level and only a small part of the total dose reaches the subgingival microflora of the periodontal pocket
- NuvaGel Ab allows the constant release of the necessary dose of antibiotic, thanks to its sealing action.
- NuvaGel Ag Gel + Ag+ Lightweight gel enriched with Ag+ ions suitable for home oral care of all members of the family
- NuvaGel I Gel + Iodine Lightweight gel enriched with Iodine suitable for the care of the home oral cavity of all members of the family
- NuvaGel Repair Gel + hyaluronic acid A gel containing hyaluronic acid that accelerates the repair of simple and complex wounds
- NuvaGel AT Gel + Antibacterial Professional sealing gel with controlled release of chemotherapy drugs directly in situ for the treatment of oral cancer
- Dental Care, the best solution in the management of simple and complex infections of the oral system
- Dental Surgery, a wide choice in the NuvaGel range to help the dentist with post-surgical complications. Implantology Prevention of infections during implantation and post-implantation complications or when explantation is required.